Monday 27 July 2015

My Summer Essentials

As summer is now in full swing- I'd thought I'd show you what products are essential to me during these slightly warmer months!

We all know that summer usually comes with scorching weather, BBQs and beach trips galore! Earlier this season the UK experienced some high temperatures which meant for me, the shorts came out from the back of the wardrobe!

Before the shorts were worn my legs needed a bit of some 'summer TLC'. This involved shaving, moisturising and tanning- 3 steps to making my legs looking a bit less ghostly!

After shaving, I will usually apply a moisturiser to keep my legs looking healthy for a little bit longer. My 2 favourite moisturisers are the Vaseline Spray & Go Moisturiser in the scent Aloe Fresh or my holy-grail which is the Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter. I tend to use the Vaseline spray in the mornings as it is quick to apply and dries almost instantly. However, I find the Soap & Glory one more indulgent and therefore is better for me when used at night. 

After moisturising, it is then onto tanning! Some people can be a bit wary of tanning and to be honest I am a bit too! However, I find with the right product it is easy to achieve a nice glow which isn't orange or streaky- the 2 things nobody wants! 

A gradual tanner is a good way to enter the world of tanning. I use the Garnier Summer Body Moisturising Lotion Sun-Kissed Look. This lotion is made with apricot extracts so at first has a pleasant scent. However, the smell can develop into a nasty tan smell which personally I am not a fan of. To avoid this, I apply this lotion before I go to bed, usually after a shower or a bath. As mentioned, this product is gradual and gradual it is! However, with constant application I find that colour builds evenly and naturally which personally I like.  

Moving away from how to achieve a fake tan, achieving a real tan can be dangerous for your skin unless precautions are taken. 
Using an SPF is vital all year round and especially in the summer, when the sun is at its strongest. For my body I use the Nivea Sun Lotion in factor 30 High. The smell of this takes me back to my childhood where I was smothered in the stuff whilst playing in the garden. It's not too sticky and does its job well. 
Today, many foundations already have SPF in them which makes protecting your face a lot easier. 
I use a BB cream which also has SPF in it. I love the Garnier BB Cream for Sensitive Skin. On its own or built on with concealer, this product is lovely. It gives a lovely glow to your face but is not glittery or shimmery. It has an SPF of 25 which makes it even more great for the summer!
My make-up in the summer doesn't really change although I definitely do have more make-up-free days. 
To start off with, I use a mattifying moisturiser from La Roche-Posay from their Effaclar range. This gives a lovely matt finish which lasts the whole day. This moisturiser also acts as an excellent base for make-up.  After applying my base make-up I will sometimes apply the Rimmel London Stay Matter Long Lasting Pressed Powder just to keep any shine at bay. My eye make-up doesn't tend to change from season to season but at the minute I am loving the Rimmel London Extra 3D Lash Mascara for overall great eyelashes! In the summer I like to wear bolder lips. 2 of my favourites include the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in the shade Sweet Tart and the SEVENTEEN Berry Crush Lip Stain. I am unsure of the shade as it doesn't say on the packaging but it is a berry red shade.
Finally we come to nails! Summer is all about bright colours and this is no exception for my nails!
I have 2 favourite shades (2 seems to be my lucky number today!) both of which are from Marks & Spencer's which has a surprisingly good beauty collection. 
Both polishes are on the coral spectrum except one is a little darker. Their names are Cherry Red and Flamingo. Both are really pretty and also quite long lasting too. 
And that sums up my summer essentials! What can you not survive without in the summer?
Leave me a comment below- I'd love to know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment